While crafting the translation for this poem an alternate reading occurred to me that others have since called the hipster kids’ poem. (Suggestions for improvement are welcome)
139. “You: young and beautiful
I myself: a young man;
Our five senses: the instruments –
Come, Kemā, let’s enjoy music together!”
140. “This putrid body: miserable, flimsy –
Done with it! Harassed by it!
Desire for sensual pleasure: eliminated!
141. Sensual pleasures: axes and spears
Mind & body*: their chopping block
Delight in sensual pleasures: now no fun at all.
142. Enjoyment: killed at every level,
the mass of darkness: destroyed;
You the Terminator: defeated, humiliated!
143. Purification for fools:
worship those stars,
keep those woodfires going,
keep missing ultimate truth.
144. Now me: worshipping the Awakened One
the best ever, periodt.
Also now me: Suffering finished!
I did what he taught!”